[caramelized vegetables]

This recipe is so easy and so tasty, I was kicking myself that I'd never used my balsamic vinegar this way.  I know it's not that hard, and the veggies aren't really caramelized, but they look and taste like they are and we love it.  
2 pounds small red potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces (depending on how big the potatoes are, I cut them into quarters so I have little 1 inch wedges)
1/2 tsp salt
1 pound asparagus, cut into 2-inch pieces
1/3 cup salted butter or Smart Balance (I always see how much butter this truly is when I'm cutting it, so I tend to use a Tbsp or so shy of 1/3 cup)
1 large onion, chopped (white, yellow or red depending on what you have or like), (about 1 cup)
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
Pepper

Heat 2 inches of water to boiling in a 3-quart saucepan.  Add potatoes and 1/2 tsp salt.  Heat to boiling; reduce heat to medium.  Cover and cook about 12 minutes, or until tender, drain and set aside.

Heat 1-inch water to boiling in the saucepan that held the potatoes.  Add asparagus.  Heat to boiling; reduce heat to medium.  Cover and cook about 5 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain and set aside.  

Melt butter in the same saucepan over medium-high heat.  Cook onion in butter about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and opaque.  Stir in vinegar and brown sugar.  Add the potato and asparagus to the onion mixture and toss to coat everything.  Season with pepper and serve immediately, or pour contents into large Pyrex pan and keep warm (about 200 degrees) until ready to serve.  (I like to make this first and keep it warm so it sits together and the potatoes soak up even more of the liquid).  

This dish could easily serve 6 people, or 2 very hungry people with a small main dish of fish or chicken.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...